MIAMI BEACH, Fla. – The summer season is in full swing, which means longer days, hot nights and more fun, making it one of the best times to visit Miami Beach. Travelers can start packing their bags now and head to Miami Beach’s pristine sands thanks to a few tricks-of-the-summer-trade to keep beach-goers safe and protected from the seasonal elements. From free sunscreen to spa treatments, it’s easy to get a summer glow safely when visiting Miami Beach with these easy-to-follow tips:
Be sun savvy. Everyone enjoys a little time in the sun and there are ways to decrease the risk of sunburns. The American Cancer Society reports that people who are heavily exposed to UV rays, found in sunlight, are at greater risk of skin cancer and that putting on sunscreen, a hat or even sunglasses are easy ways to help decrease sun exposure risks.
In support of sun safety, The City of Miami Beach launched the first free Suncare dispenser program for its residents and visitors. There are 50 dispensers offering free Miami Beach Suncare SPF 30 Sea Kelp Sunscreen Lotion throughout the city’s public beaches, pools, and parks allowing users to enjoy fun in the sun safely.
“Summer is one of the best times to visit Miami Beach and we are dedicated to making it safe and easy for tourists and locals to enjoy the variety of activities available during this time of year with the Miami Beach free Suncare Dispenser Program,” says Peggy Benua, Chair of the MBCVA. “We are a leader in this initiative that is extending to other cities across the nation, including the Town of Hempstead, NY and City of Long Beach, NY.”
Apply early and repeat. The strongest hours of the sun are between 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Re-applying sunscreen is key throughout the day, no matter where it takes you. From strolling Lincoln Road boutiques to breezy ocean walks, be sure to set an iPhone or watch alarm to sound every 2 hours as a reminder to lather! And remember, it’s just as important for visitors to load up on SPF on cloudy summer days as well!
Take Cover. Sound impossible to stay indoors during the day on Miami Beach? July is the start of Miami Spa Month (runs through August), offering the best excuse to stay indoors and indulge in luxury spa treatments focused on keeping skin hydrated and refreshed.
- Miami Spa Month Offers:
- Bamford Haybarn Spa at the 1 Hotel South Beach
- Enjoy treatments like the Bamford Swedish Massage or Bamford Radiance Facial for $109 including complimentary valet, a beach chair and Plnthouse Kombucha.
- The Spa at The Setai, Miami Beach
- Unwind with a relaxing Asian Fusion Massage for two or refresh with the Fresh Skin Ritual for $109, including perks like discounted valet and access to the exclusive pool and private beach area.
- The Spa at Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- De-stress with an aromatic Relaxation Massage, hydrate with a Deep Cleansing Facial or relax in a Zero Gravity Chair part of the Timeless Capsule Experience for $109 along with access to complimentary saunas, steam rooms and lounges.
Lapis Spa at Fontainebleau
- Release tension with a Hot Rock Massage or Aromatic Swedish Massage treatment for two in an Oceanview spa suite for $139 and bask in complimentary eucalyptus steam baths and mineral pools.
For more information on how to play it safe in the sun this summer, events and happenings for Miami Beach Spa Month, download the Miami Beach Information App at www.miamibeachapi.com/app/.